Oh M(yasthenia) G(ravis)! My journey into the unknown!

I decided to change up my blog a little since I have been diagnosed with such an uncommon illness. Myasthenia Gravis is an unforgiving disease that effects the receptors that transmit messages from the nerve to the muscle. It effects all the muscles you use except the heart. Basically it’s a disconnect – my body is attacking itself and it won’t function properly.  My best description is when you are in a brown out and lights surge and flicker some work some don’t and then BAM: power is out. I can’t move my arms, legs, head, nothing works, my eyes are in two different directions, my speech is slurred I am as we call it in the south “A HOT MESS!”

I have terrified my husband, my children, my mother and let me not forget myself when I shut down. Four weeks ago I was plowing my own path, doing my own thing, living life to the fullest. Today I am currently sitting in my bed at 3pm because I have done more than I should and I’m so uncoordinated I stumble when I walk.  So instead of breaking a hip, here I sit with a great mind and a worn out body. I could say life stinks. I could wallow in self pity. I am 46 and have to walk with a rolling walker in case I get tired I can sit. It could easily be done, I could be Debby Downer but I REFUSE!

I am a Christian, I believe in an all powerful, all knowing, all forgiving God. He is real! I have talked to him twice when I thought I would die and HE alone sustained me. I know I am here for a purpose. I might not be His first choice of an example because I am the perfect example of an imperfect person! The one thing I know that I have to fix that is salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ! He plainly covers the imperfections and I think He used a whole jar of spackle to fix just me! Sorry, I think I’m funny you might not.

I’ve heard the phrase “Life is a journey!” Well I can guarantee you mine is and it will never be boring from here on out! Myasthenia Gravis is like a roller coaster you just can’t get off of. I have  good minutes and bad minutes and they might change up in a second! God kept me here and I am riding this journey like it is a full fledged bull ride! I might look stupid, crazy, dumb, goofy or whatever folks may want to call me but I am taking this gift (yes I said gift) God has given me and I’m going to make the most of it.

I am a 25 year nurse and I feel like this is my calling; to educate, inform and hopefully find someone out there that might get something out of it. Even if it’s just one person it will suit me. I haven’t confessed this to anyone personally but I have felt God pushing me toward using this blog for something. I never had a clue it would be through a disease process, maybe I waited to long and He decided to give me a reason. It doesn’t matter, I’m going for it. My God is real; He is not dead!

Anyway, I may also have forgotten to mention I am from the south so hold on to your hats because you might not understand some of what I type. Lawd help if you could hear me read it! It would take three times as long and 10,000 more syllables! Hahaha! I crack myself up!

Stay tuned for more to come! My alarm just went off and it’s time for more meds. Four weeks ago it was one pill a day. Now it’s every four hours and they sneak up on you so I have alarms set. It works! Don’t judge! We are all getting older!

Have a great evening!

Melynda

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Oh M(yasthenia) G(ravis)! My journey into the unknown!

1. Ruthie Belangia says:

I love you Melynda Poss and if I can do anything for you, let me know. You are such an inspiration even before this. I pray God heals you but uses you mightly!!

2. Jan Little says:

Melynda, you have really blessed me! Your attitude and faith through this struggle is amazing and so inspiring! We will be praying for you and your family and also praying that your blog will encourage others, as I am sure that it will.

3. Donna S says:

You are such an inspiration. I think using this blog will be great for you. We love you even if your a “hot mess”

4. Lisa says:

I knew you were special when I first met you when you went above and beyond for me. (For others reading, we do not work together but she is a key contact when we need items expedited). Your personality bubbles over. You are an inspiration to those that may be dealing with their own issues and for those that may not be dealing with any major crises but need a better outlook. Your optimism, faith and love for Our Lord truly is a light for all. God has big plans for you, Melynda Poss!

5. Hollie Cartledge says:

I have never heard of this disease before. God knew what a strong Christian you are and knew you would use this disease to witness for him and not complain. You have always been an inspiration to me and I could see the love you have for God each time we met.
    I pray that God will lift this burden from you and let you live normally again. God bless your family and give them peace.

6. Dianne Clements says:

I am in awe! You’ve given everybody a good lesson as the saying goes…If life gives you lemons make lemonade. It’s just so hard for me to grasp that you went from feeling absolutely fine to having a body totally out of control. I can’t imagine. Please keep us informed on a daily basis if possible. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

7. Cyndi Foster says:

You are not alone. I too have Myasthenia Gravis. May the Lord give you strength as he has given me to endure. Be strong on the Lord. Things will get better.

8. Malinda Teasley Erwin says:

My Mother was disagnosed with this disease too. None if us had ever heard of the disease. She never complained and was grateful for Gods blessings. She passed in 2005 at the age of 82. Blessings to you and your family❤️❤️❤️

9. MALINDA: MY NAME LIES WITHIN YOURS, LINDA—SUCH A LOVELY NAME SIS, WITH SUCH A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR! THROUGH LIFE’S MANY TRIALS AS A MISSIONARY PASTOR FOR OVER 30 YRS AND RADIO 10 YRS, I CAN SAY WE BETTER BE ABLE TO LOOK FOR THE GOOD IN EVERY LIFE EVENT DEALT TO US, NEVER FORGET TO LAUGH AT OURSELVES, AND YES AS YOU ENDED YOUR STATEMENT-DON’T JUDGE–PULL TOGETHER, TRUST GOD, BUILD WITH BLOCKS OF FAITH AT EVERY STEP– ALWAYS KNOW GOD IS THE TRUE SPICE OF OUR LIFE–AND KEEP PASSING IT ON–MAKING FOR A BETTER WORLD- LOVE YOU SIS AND KEEP LOOKING UP IN FAITH!!BEACON OF HOPE/WSYD/1300 AM/ MT AIRY, NC~~~

10. Lido Alverio says:

My dear Melynda, glad to hear you using your troubles to glorify our Lord!
    Sometimes we don’t know why and how The Lord gives us these challenges,
    However take it as part of the cross you will have to carry for Him and like you,
    said this will be your calling, to instruct, to teach about this disease and also an
    opportunity for your testimony of His glory, for His power, for His mercy.
    The Lord will no abandon His children; He will always be besides you to comfort
    you and care for you. Gives yourself totally to Him and you will see, you will feel
    His presence every single moment. I will keep praying for you and your family
    Love Lido

11. Jay says:

I can’t wait to see you and Hug you!

12. Karen Lord George says:

Melinda,
    What an inspiration you are! I love what you wrote. It touched my heart. I know how awesome our God is. I will be lifting you and your family up in prayer. Looking forward to more inspiration from you. As a nurse, I have to tell you “Get some rest and don’t wear your self out.”

13. singergal1964@aol.com says:

Hi There! My name is Rhonda and I live in Ontario, Canada. I want to thank you for sharing your journey with MG. I too have MG, six years now. It surely has been a struggle sometimes, life and death. I also don’t what I would do without Jesus!! I’ll be praying for you and interested to read your updates on here. Blessings!!